Source: Manifest Vegan http://www.manifestvegan.com/2011/09/apple-pie-cheesecake/
- 3 cups whole pecans
- 4 tbsp granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp superfine brown rice flour
- 6 tbsp melted vegan margarine
- 2 tbsp almond milk
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tubs tofutti better than cream cheese
- 1 package (19 oz) extra firm regular tofu (not silken)
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste, or one scraped vanilla bean pod
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp cloves
- 6 tbsp superfine brown rice flour
- 2-3 medium sized honeycrisp or granny smith apples
- 2 tbsp cold vegan margarine, cut into small bits
- 1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup potato starch mixed with 1/4 cup very cold water
To make crust, preheat oven to 400 °F. Pulse pecans, sugar and superfine brown rice flour in food processor until crumbly. Stir in melted vegan margarine with fork until well mixed. Press mixture into springform pan until crust is about 1/4 inch thick. Bake in preheated oven for 13 minutes. Let cool slightly and reduce heat to 325 °F.
Place all ingredients for filling into bowl and stir together until roughly mixed. Transfer to food processor and blend until smooth. Spread the contents of food processor evenly into baked crust and place in oven.
Bake for 70 minutes. Turn off oven, but leave cheesecake in oven for an additional hour. Remove from oven and let cool on wire rack until room temp. Chill in fridge for a few hours before making topping.
Slice apples thinly, leaving peels on apples. Toss with margarine and place into small frying pan. Saute over medium heat until apples are softened and a good amount of water has been produced. Stir in brown sugar and let mixture cook over medium heat until bubbly. Add in potato starch mixed with water, stirring constantly until thickened. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
Top cheesecake with apple mixture and chill in fridge for a few more hours or preferably overnight until firm.