Source: Oh She Glows http://ohsheglows.com/2010/09/08/high-protein-garlic-mashed-potatoes/
- 10-12 large organic red potatoes
- 3-3.5 cups cooked navy beans (two 15-oz cans)*
- 1/4 cup soy-free Earth Balance buttery spread
- 2 tbsp unsweet. almond milk
- 4-5 large cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground paprika
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- other herbs and seasoning, to taste
1. Wash potatoes with a potato scrubber, chop into large chunks, and toss into a large pot. I prefer to leave the skin on, but you can peel if desired.
2. Fill pot with water until potatoes are covered. Cook on medium-high heat for about 30-35 minutes until fork tender. Drain potatoes and place in a large bowl.
3. Drop in garlic cloves into a food processor (running) and process until finely chopped. Add drained and rinsed beans, salt, paprika, and process until mostly smooth.
3. After cooling potatoes for a few minutes, take a potato masher and mash until desired consistency is achieved. Now add your milk and Earth Balance and keep mashing.
4. Add processed bean mixture to potato mixture and mash until smooth. Sprinkle with black pepper, other herbs, and additional sea salt.
5. Serve with Earth Balance, salsa, ketchup, or BBQ sauce, and a serving of cooked veggies to round out the meal.
Note: You can also swap the beans for 1 cup of red lentils. Simply stir in cooked lentils as you mash the potatoes.
Nutritional Info: (Serves 8). Per serving, approx: 336kcal, 7 gram fat, 11 grams fibre, 11 grams protein, 2 grams sugar.